Data Insight >
Principal, UX Deign 2010-20013
Symantec is market leader in computer security and Data Loss Prevention (DLP).
I am responsible for aligning UX across the DLP platform, improve usability of , and help integrate different products into a single interface.
1. Customers Needs
Violations of company’s policies generate incidents that need to be reviewed by the company’s in-house DLP group.
With the increasing number of incidents generated on a daily basis, remediators need to delegate few activities to the offender’s manager. Customers with both Symantec DLP and DI products can benefit from a single view.
The first solution presented to customers by product managers, did not meet their expectations in terms of usability.
Customers lamented a too busy screen layout and a difficult navigation.
I was called in to fix what was wrong and propose an engaging and intuitive workflow.
– Two teams, one in San Francisco, and one in Pune, India.
– Two products, Data Loss Prevention, and Data Insight.
– Two product managers with different visions.
– Two months to prepare for Technical Advisory Board meeting with 80 customers.
Synthesize business technology and user needs and envision smart holistic design solutions.
Create a Portal to incorporate some aspects of DLP and DI in order to enable users to quickly access “remediation” functionality supported by both applications.
I focused on creating a new framework for people to share ideas and constraints:
– Aligned vision by engaging teams in the creation of Task Models that show the process and functionality required to help the user.
– Facilitated discussions between PMs and Devs by developing User Journeys, to translate desired user behavior into specific interactions.
– Shifted the focus of the TAB meeting from the traditional review of wireframes to a validation of requirements. By placing the User Journeys at the center of the conversation we kept customers engaged on the core of the problem. Only at the end we showed a visual of how the new UI would look like.
Maximum customers’ participation.
Input on all open questions.
PMs great satisfaction.